Prof Olivier Thomas, Marine Biodiscovery, School of Chemistry, NUI Galway, Ireland.
E-mail Address: email@example.com; Telephone number: 00 353 (0) 91 49 3563
• Received the French Prime Doctoral and Research Supervisory Award in 2009
• Received the French Prime Scientific Excellence Award in 2013
• Panel member for the recruitment of a Full Professor for the University of Paris (2013)
• Panel member for the recruitment of Assistant Professors in the University Nice (2010-2013), the University of Avignon (2011), the University of Toulon (2011), NUIG Lecturer (2017)
• Jury of 15 PhD including 1 in Canada and 2 in Spain
• Jury member for the French AERES 2013 in order to evaluate a laboratory in natural product chemistry (La Réunion)
• Contributed to national and international projects in Croatia, Brazil, French ANR, Labex LERMIT
• Invited professor at Hanoi-Vietnam, Guayaquil-Ecuador, Bogota-Colombia
2002 Doctor of Philosophy in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University Paris Descartes, France
1999 Master Degree in Organic Chemistry, University Paris Descartes, France
1996 Agregation in Chemistry, Ecole Normale Superieure de Cachan, France
2015- Established Professor in Marine Biodiscovery, NUI Galway, Ireland
2012-2015 Professor in Marine Environmental metabolomics, University Nice Sophia Antipolis, France
2004-2012 Lecturer in Marine Natural Product Chemistry, University Nice Sophia Antipolis, France
2002-2004 Post-Doctorate, CEA Saclay, France
Secured €2.62 million in peer-reviewed funding contracts since 2011; as PI (11 grants) and Co-PI/Collaborator (4 grants), including € in non-exchequer funding. €616000 as PI.
Mentoring and Supervision
First Destination of Past Researchers: 66% Academia, 33% Industry
Past: 26 Postgraduates (16 PhDs and 10 MScs), 5 Postdoctoral Researchers, 4 Research Assistants.
Current: 5 Postgraduates (4 PhD and 1 MSc), 5 Postdoctoral Researchers 3 Research Assistants
Intellectual Property: 1 patents application under review
• PATCHED INHIBITING COMPOUNDS, COMPOSITIONS AND USES THEREOF. Date filed (EP14306710.6) (31 May 2017, CNRS)
Innovation Disclosures: 1 of innovations disclosed*
• Sponge Milking Process. 04 September 2013. Reference i.e. SATT-SUD-EST-2013-01
*Unable to disclose details due to confidentiality agreements
Currently collaborating with 1 SME (Abalone Conamara) and 1 MNC (COSMO II) companies. Project on the development of sea cucumber aquaculture submitted to EI 2017 with Abalone Conamara. Project funded by COSMO II for bioactives from microalgae for the cosmetical sector
Collaboration with Mabiotech - Omani sponge natural products for the pharmaceutical industry
Collaboration with Greensean Biotechnologies – ‘Bioactives from Microalgae’ (2014)
Collaboration with COSMO II cosmetics – ‘Bioactives from Microalgae’ (2016)
Collaboration with FERRING – ‘Sponge Milking’ (2015)
Measures of Esteem
Reviewer: 16 (Scientific Reports, Organic Letters, Journal of Organic Chemistry, Journal of Natural Products, Phytochemistry, Phytochemistry Reviews, Marine Drugs, Molecules, ChemBiochem, Tetrahedron, Tetrahedron Letters, Plos One, Marine Biology, Planta Medica, Journal of Chemical Ecology, Polar Biology)
Editorial Board: 3 (Scientific Reports, Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, Marine Drugs)
Guest Editor: 1 (Marine Drugs, June 2017)
Grant Panellist: 1 (Observatoire Oceanologique de Banyuls sur Mer-France, 2017)
Invited Lectures: 10 / 25+
• Thomas OP ‘Zoanthids for sale… beyond their use in reef aquaria’ X European Conference in Marine Natural Products, Crete-Greece, September 2017
• Thomas OP ‘Message in the water column: Mediterranean sponges under scrutiny’ VIII World Congress on Allelopathy, Marseille-France, July 2017
• Thomas OP ‘Metabolic Profiling Reveals Deep Chemical Divergence between Two Morphotypes of the Zoanthid Parazoanthus axinellae.’ Guimarães, Portugal, 2014
Prof Thomas has published an average of 11.8 manuscripts per year over the past 5 years
Selected Senior/Joint Senior* Author Research Publications:1-5
1. Ternon, E.; Thomas, O. P.; Perino, E.; Pronzato, R.; Manconi, R.; Thomas, O. P., How Environmental Factors Affect the Production of Guanidine Alkaloids by the Mediterranean Sponge Crambe crambe. Mar. Drugs 2017, 15.
2. Guillen, P. O.; Jaramillo, K. B.; Genta-Jouve, G.; Sinniger, F.; Rodriguez, J.; Thomas, O. P., Terrazoanthines, 2-Aminoimidazole Alkaloids from the Tropical Eastern Pacific Zoantharian Terrazoanthus onoi. Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 1558-1561.
3. Firsova, D.; Mahajan, N.; Solanki, H.; Morrow, C.; Thomas, O. P., Current Status and Perspectives in Marine Biodiscovery. In Bioprospecting: Success, Potential and Constraints, Paterson, R.; Lima, N., Eds. Springer International Publishing: Cham, 2017; pp 29-50.
4. Calabro, K.; Laville, R.; Kalahroodi, E. L.; Rodrigues, D.; Soussi, B.; Thomas, O. P.; Poecillastrosides, Steroidal Saponins from the Mediterranean Deep-Sea Sponge Poecillastra compressa (Bowerbank, 1866). Mar. Drugs 2017, 15.
5. Ternon, E.; Zarate, L.; Chenesseau, S.; Croué, J.; Dumollard, R.; Suzuki, M. T.; Thomas, O. P., Spherulization as a process for the exudation of chemical cues by the encrusting sponge C. crambe. Sci. Rep. 2016, 6, 29474.